Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rider, Elephant, and Path

In their book, Switch, Chip and Dan Heath discuss the ideas of Riders, Elephants, and Paths in relation to change. Can you think of a Rider, an Elephant, or a Path (or for bonus points, all three) that might exist in your classroom?

9 comments:

  1. On one level I am all three. My elephant self wants my kids to feel awesome about what they are learning. My rider is the cruise director, planning every perfectly timed stop and tour along the path of my topics of learning for the day/week/year. My path is my curriculum.

    On another level my students are the elephants, at times unable to control their impulses. I am the rider attempting to control my class and its path.

    On yet another level, you (Mr. Thor) are the Rider, and we teachers/students/parents are the elephants. You are now taking us down a path some of us are unfamiliar with, but I think we all realize that you'll get us there safe and sound. Change is never easy for someone like me, so go easy on us, bossman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the roles change all the time. We expereince both the elephant and rider positions, depending on the situation - and sometimes we create our own pths and sometimes we are faithful followers. (I have only jsut now started the book, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year I went to an Accelerated Reader conference, and I wanted to implement change into my classroom immediately. I was already using the program, but I wanted to make it better, more effective for my students and me.

    My first challenge was to motivate the elephant. I did this by asking the students to help me learn more about the program. They enjoyed being part of the process, and we discussed how the changes would not only help me but them too. They took time and made more of an effort with the STAR testing, and they created goals that would challenge them.

    Next, I had to direct the rider. We established guidelines and procedures for taking quizzes, implemented vocabulary quizzes, designated time for reading and quiz taking, and discussed different types of goals and strategies to reach those goals. We kept logs to help the students track their progress.

    Finally, I had to shape the path. As with any lesson I teach, I had to be flexible. This was not only a learning process for the students; it was new for me. We adjusted routines and had more discussions, and it made a difference.

    The end result was amazing. Very few students didn't reach their end goal, but most of the students went way beyond their goals. It was a great experience, and the students, their parents, and I were amazed at some of the outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have just begun the book, and it is fascinating. I really like the mindset of looking for what is working instead of focusing on the problem. Bright spots abound in our lives and in our teaching. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often been confused by some children who seem capable of doing work at one level but then cannot consistently maintain that level of work. Reading the part in the book about “what looks like laziness is exhaustion” was such an “aha” moment for me in my thinking about these students. These kids are exhausted with the amount of effort it takes to maintain the level of performance (the change) expected by me in my class. It is easier for the child to maintain the familiar behavior (keep the status quo behavior, failure).

    In my class the path to success seems very clearly scripted but that’s because the steps seem simple to me. If each step seemed like a monumental undertaking then more than a few steps would discourage a child from even attempting the first step.

    I also realized that I had some children who were equally challenged in their work but were becoming successful students(bright spots). They were highly motivated, rewarded, and recognized by their families and teachers for the hard work they were putting in. The elephant was engaged and motivated here.
    Karen McLaren

    ReplyDelete
  6. This last year I had a perfect example of the elephant, the rider and the path. I had a child with a processing difficulty. For him, the rational side understood what he must do to work with his disability. The emotional side would overtake him when his processing problem created misunderstanding and a need for direction. A path was needed! It was also so true that what might appear to someone as laziness was indeed exhaustion from trying to conquer his disability and return to the path. He needed clarity. Once clarity was continually reestablished, the path, the elephant, the rider were working together for this child!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great comments, friends, and I can visualize all of your examples. Pat's insights decribing processing difficulty, attentional exhaustion, and clarity are particularly recognized and well-taken. Last year's memorable rider: parent who alternately micromanaged and set high expectations, affecting last year's Elephant child, who was emotionally stressed by the feeling s/he could not please. Path: walking between the two and supporting the great intentions and best behaviors of both, with the scripting help of our school counselor.
    Rider/Elephant/Path: insert a picture of myself juggling observers in the second trimester and a student teacher in the third trimester, thankfully while working with a great class. Flexibility and change must be expectations of any teacher, but these experiences provided great views of how the class appears from the outside, providing a validation of the path, a nod to the rider, and a peanut for the elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think as teachers we all are, at times, both the Elephant and the Rider every single day. Sometimes in dealing with a difficult situation, we have to be the rational (Rider) person as the child (Elephant) displays all of their emotions. There are other times when in order to make a connection with the children, I must make my connection with a child as the Elephant. As the facilitator in the classroom, I am often aiding the children to see the Path. Although all teachers do this, I think it may be more evident to observers in classrooms of younger children, just because of the way young children deal with others and challenges. The difficulty sometimes arises when we choose the wrong role to deal with a particular problem or if we primarily deal with all situations in the same role.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kappi I agree with your comment.

    Often I feel like the Elephant because I thrive on instant gratification and my emotions can get in the way of my rational thinker the Rider. As a teacher you have to play both roles in order to understand and get in touch with young children. Dealing with parents I think you need to be more like the Rider with some Elephant qualities.

    Change is always good, personally I just need some time to adjust and process what all will be changing and my role in that change.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.